Your home is where you and your loved ones eat, sleep, and live, but what if it wasn’t as safe as you thought? Even though Americans are spending a combined 10.6% more money on their homes compared to last year.1 What if YOUR home was actually a hotbed of bacteria, toxins, and dangerous germy spores, and you didn’t even know about it?
Here are several of the “4 Secret Household Killers” that could be making YOUR home a danger zone:
Secret Killer #1: Hot water through the kitchen sink
On-demand hot water is one of the greatest luxuries of modern times. But as good as a steam shower is, when it comes to DRINKING hot water — there are dangers you need to know about.
You see, water travels a long way before it comes out of the kitchen spout. And when it’s already hot, the high temperature could melt toxins off the pipe — such as lead — and mix into your water.
As it stands, about 18 million Americans are served by water systems over the legal “lead limit.” 2 And this could lead to MAJOR brain, kidney, and nervous system damage, especially in children and pregnant women.
Even pipes legally considered “lead-free” still have up to 8% lead in them. So for cooking or making a pot of tea, NEVER start with hot water… always run cool water through the kitchen spout and boil it after.
Secret Killer #2: Olive oil past the smoke point
Cooking with olive oil is a great addition to any meal, giving you more flavor and lots of healthy fats and antioxidants.
But cooking olive oil past its “smoke point” — or when it starts to burn and make smoke — is actually REALLY dangerous. Because that smoke contains toxic fumes, and it could be cancer-causing.
So if you’re cooking with olive oil, always keep the burner under 400 degrees. And never eat food that’s been touched by burnt olive oil.
Secret Killer #3: Dirty humidifier
Humidifiers are great for dry skin and scratchy throats. But unless you clean it everyday, it could actually be making the air in your room dangerous.
That’s because stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi. And if you don’t change the water regularly, your humidifier could be blowing contaminated mist, and you’re breathing it in.
In fact, recently the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commision sent out a massive alert about this, warning dirty humidifiers could cause lung problems, flu-like symptoms, and serious internal infections. Especially for young children and people with allergies.
Secret Killer #4: Germy loofah
Unlike a bar of soap, loofahs create rich, lathery suds that make a regular shower seem like a day at the spa. But if you’re using a dirty loofah, you could be damaging your skin.
You see, loofahs work by breaking the skin, enhancing circulation and softness by removing old skin cells.
But due to their abrasive function, a dirty loofah could be forcing mold, bacteria, and germs into your broken skin — especially if you have small cuts and nicks from shaving.
And this could cause rashes, boils, and deadly skin infections. So remember: Always clean your loofah and store it OUTSIDE of the shower where it’s dry. Plus, never share your loofah and replace every 4 weeks.
Our homes are priceless: They’re our everyday sanctuaries, where we go to find peace and quiet…
They’re also a personal oasis for the love and joy of family and dear friends…
So make sure YOUR home is the best place it can possibly be, by avoiding my “4 Secret Household Killers.”
Because a safer, cleaner, healthier home is always a good thing.
1. Gillespie, Patrick. “Americans Still Love Spending On Their Homes”. CNNMoney. N.p., 2016. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
2. Sara Ganim, CNN. “5,300 U.S. Water Systems Are In Violation Of Lead Rules”. CNN. N.p., 2016. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.